Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Fine and Terrible Mystery Continues


On January 24th I posted a short précis on the perplexing, dramatic life of Sir Thomas Malory, author of Le Morte d’Arthur.   Why did someone with such an ostensibly extensive criminal history write a book so deeply concerned with chivalric morality?  Was he defamed?



Since then, partly as a result of interest expressed by M. Watkins, R. Lajeunesse and Lynn, I’ve been following up with what has been slight spare time.  I decided to do so by re-reading two versions of Le Morte d’Arthur, the Caxton and Winchester, and have acquired two historical texts:  The Life and Times of Sir Thomas Malory by P. J. C. Field written in 1993 and Christina Hardyment’s 2004 Malory:  The Knight Who Became King Arthur’s Chronicler.  My goal is to develop an informed personal opinion of the relation of Malory’s life to his exceptional book.

Consider, this a short update, possibly one of several.  I’m not an historian nevertheless I intend to give the topic my best critical shot.  I admit to feeling a bit like Josephine Tey’s detective in Daughter of Time.  “The game’s afoot,” as someone more notable was want to quote.

The two histories are well reviewed.  Field is a preeminent academic text (and expensive unless you find a used copy as I did.)  In contrast Hardyment (no academic slouch:  Newnham College Cambridge, St. Anthony’s College, Oxford) intentionally wrote a more accessible and casually readable book.  There are more recent contributions to the literature which I’m surveying and I’ll report on them as they become pertinent.

Malory’s life story is immediately difficult, literally: my two sources disagree dramatically on his date of birth.  Field devotes a careful chapter to it and places it between 1414 and 1416.  Hardyment places is around 1401 and disperses her reasoning for it throughout her book.  The consequences for developing a picture of his life are profound.  Remember 1451 was the signal year in which Malory fell from grace and was accused of so many crimes.  Was he 35 or 50?  When he was fourteen was he part of Henry V’s Agincourt campaign, one of the Earl of Warwick’s retinue or was he at best in swaddling clothes at that time?

One piece of primary evidence sited by both Field and Hardyment is Sir William Dugdale’s 1656 The Antiquities of Warwickshire Illustrated, which is available online.  On page 56, Dugdale writes,


“…(John Malory) left issue Thomas; who, in King Henry Vth’s time, was of the retinue to Richard Beauchamp Earl of Warwick at the siege of Caleys, and served there with one lance and two Archers; receiving for his lance and 1.Archer xx.ii per an. And their dyet and for the other Archer x.marks and no dyet.

“This Thomas, being a Kt in 23. H. 6, served for this Shire in the Paliam. …”

Dugdale’s book was published 240 years after the event.  Both Field and Hardyment go to Dugdale’s references:  the muster rolls for the campaigns and draw different conclusions.  I’ve read both their arguments multiple times and am not yet ready to express a personal opinion.  But the issue is of such obvious importance I will continue worrying it.

I feel like I’m walking across unsteady, shifting  ground.  I remember feeling this way several times when I was researching As a Black Prince on Bloody Fields.  The difference is that then I could appeal to my imagination for resolution for what were much, much smaller issues.

I must finish with a caution.  Everyone has read stories or novels about dangerous books, books that reveal sacred information or summon devils.  Dugdale’s book is one of those.  It’s particular hazard is that it devours and collapses time.  If you decide to look at it, watch out particularly for the illustrations.  You’ve been warned.  (The image above is from Antonioni's superlative 1966 film "Blow-up" which concerns an unintentional amateur detective.)
 Episode 3 is here

No comments: