Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Fencers on the Roof (with apologies to Jean Giono)


We’re still at it. June was an eventful month, the most intensive period being our club’s five day “Advanced Fencing Camp,” which was held at the University of Utah. It was a tad intensive. The first day was a lot of “fun work” (read “relentless conditioning”) which revealed how much I need to step up my daily conditioning to be in proper shape. It was just tough enough that I wondered each day whether I’d make it through the next. But I was compensated with numerous high points: substantive, formal bouts with the best fencers in the club, humbling and surprising bouts with new fencers, a fantastic stretching session, and a couple of fun, close-fought team competitions. My favorite moment may have been watching Lynn’s fierce concentration as she faced a very capable woman from the U of U club. Needless to say, I learned a lot, was inspired yet again, and came away with a “I survived Advance Fencing Camp” t-shirt with “I love fun work” printed on the back.

The following Saturday was the Last Chance Tournament at the Utah Valley Club in Orem. I did well enough (11th ) in a field with several A level fencers but came away feeling I could have won one more DE bout if I’d been a little more clever. I wasn’t too surprised as the camp, besides being physically intense, had given me numerous issues to work on and consider. My game has been disrupted. Time to take a step.






And now it’s July. Our club takes a break, partly because of Nationals. But we’re still at it. Robert, Lynn and have been fencing on the roof in the mornings which has been particularly good fun and we’re off this afternoon to fence with the U of U club. The news from Nationals is particularly good. One clubmate, Dylan Nollner, was first in Division 1A and 11th in men’s epee over all. Another, Gabriele Macdonald, was 16th in Y14 men’s epee. And Tatijana Stewart is national champion in Y10 epee. She destroyed me more than once during our camp. Last and far from least, our coach, Kenny Nopens, was awarded the Coaches Medal. Wicked cool.

And I see in the news that roof top fencing is becoming fashionable: Morehouse London Rooftop


No comments: